VOY: The Gift

Voyager
Nickswitz
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

VOY: The Gift

Post by Nickswitz »

Yet another OVEG :D

This episode wasn't that bad, and we got seven at least...
The world ended

"Insanity -- a perfectly rational adjustment to an insane world" - R.D.Lang
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Re: VOY: The Gift

Post by Nutso »

I always thought that Kes was replaced because the actress decided to move on from this garbage.
"Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"
Stan - South Park
Nickswitz
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Nickswitz »

That wouldn't surprise me...
The world ended

"Insanity -- a perfectly rational adjustment to an insane world" - R.D.Lang
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Nutso wrote:I always thought that Kes was replaced because the actress decided to move on from this garbage.
Her next appearance was in American History X as Ed Norton's sister. Hell of a step up.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Tsukiyumi wrote:
Nutso wrote:I always thought that Kes was replaced because the actress decided to move on from this garbage.
Her next appearance was in American History X as Ed Norton's sister. Hell of a step up.
Never seen that movie, so this is a legit question. Are you being sarcastic? Apologies.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

No, he's not. It was an amazing movie, and a great performance by her just to not be overshadowed by Norton's role. It was his best performance, Fight Club included.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

The episode wasn't too bad. The problem is the Janeway/Seven thing never worked, not even once. "Here's individuality, now do as I tell you, forget free will, and let me guide your every move." Janeway, the Borg, what's the fucking difference?
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Huh. He says they were all set to dum Harry Kim, but then Garret Wang was voted one of the 50 most beautiful people by People magazine, so they decided to let him stay and dumped Kes instead.

Nothing whatsoever to do with which character had the most potential, which actor was better in their role... speaks volumes about how the show was run, doesn't it?
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

An incredible amount. And like he pointed out, for some incomprehensible reason Neelix's neck was never on the block.
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

GrahamKennedy wrote:Huh. He says they were all set to dum Harry Kim, but then Garret Wang was voted one of the 50 most beautiful people by People magazine, so they decided to let him stay and dumped Kes instead.

Nothing whatsoever to do with which character had the most potential, which actor was better in their role... speaks volumes about how the show was run, doesn't it?
I just don't even understand why that matters to the show runners? I am seriously wondering how keeping a cast member around based on some stupid dumbass poll that had nothing to do with anything improves the quality of the show. They were actually developing Kes as a character. They would have had to deal with her getting old and dying. What the hell were they doing with Harry? Not promoting him, not giving him a love interest, not giving him some nookie, not letting Garrett Wang direct an episode.
"Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"
Stan - South Park
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

And so goes VOY. "Ask not for whom the bell tolls; it tolls for 'Trek."
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Nutso wrote: I just don't even understand why that matters to the show runners? I am seriously wondering how keeping a cast member around based on some stupid dumbass poll that had nothing to do with anything improves the quality of the show. They were actually developing Kes as a character. They would have had to deal with her getting old and dying. What the hell were they doing with Harry? Not promoting him, not giving him a love interest, not giving him some nookie, not letting Garrett Wang direct an episode.
Well in all fairness, you can't really promote a guy if there aren't any slots for him to be promoted into. Yeah I could see giving him his Jg pip, but he wouldn't be doing anything different.

Everything else, yeah, that was crap.
Lazar
Captain
Captain

Post by Lazar »

They should have had Harry Kim die heroically in some battle and not have a comic book death. Gee, being stranded on the other side of the Galaxy is dangerous!
"There was also a large horse in the room, taking up most of it."
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Hell, they could have had him do something of interest. I honestly can't remember any good episodes where he was anything but a background character.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Said it before and I'll say it again, Voyager is where potential went to die. With Harry they had a blank slate, they could have literally done anything with him. Therefore they chose to to absolutely nothing with him and he took up space in the title sequence and bridge for seven years.